Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Make a Cheap Storage Closet Pond

xxx

At the end of the season, I had too many water hyacinth and water lotus. Not wanting to throw them into the mulch pile, I decided to make a new pond.


xxx




I happen to have a plastic storage closet that I was ready to chuck. This gave me an idea! I popped off the shelving and the door.








...
x
..;
xxxxx



Then I filed down the rough edges from screw holes and removed any screws.


..
..


xxxI found a nice sunny place and laid the storage closet on its backside.
xxx
xxx
.

.
.




Then I lined the closet with 4 mil. black plastic sheeting and cut it to size.




.
In the process of helping my husband line the new "cheap" pond, I stepped over a pile of lumber and stepped down on a huge nail! I learned my painful lesson, DO NOT wear crocks in a construction area!



.

.

.A day and 1 hospital visit later, I hobbled out to the pond and finished the job. It looks great! All I need to do is add some goldfish or minnows for mosquito control and I'm all set. In the cold winter months, I will attach clear plastic sheeting to the fence to protect the plants from frost. I can also lower the water level and drape the sheeting right over the pond for protection.


No comments: